Thursday 3 July 2008

The Benefit of the Tear

People shed tears for many reasons, and for the majority of them, the motive is often a worldly one. only a few feel the nedd to let tears stream down their faces in no way linked to this world. Very few people cry out of fear and hope of Allah (swt).

Once as I was conversing with a brother inside the masjid and he told me the following story, “I was out with my wife for a walk, and then as we stopped, I started to contemplate the creation of Allah. I looked at the sky and its perfection. I was dazzled by the height of the trees and the beautiful leaves. I looked at the different colours of plants which reminded me of the beautiful name of Allah (Al Badee’ or the Creator). And before I knew it, my eyes welled up with tears. My wife taken aback, asked me, ‘What is the matter?’ and I said, ‘I kept observing the beautiful creation of Allah and just thought to myself that Allah didn’t have to do this, which sent me to tears.’” On hearing this from him, I found myself trying really hard to hold the tears back. How much of Allah blessings and ‘small’ mercies do we take for granted? Instead we question Him for what He has not given us. As it says in the Qur’an “If you tried to count Allah's blessings, never will you be able to count them. Man is indeed wrongdoing, ungrateful. (Surah Ibrahim: 34).

Shedding a tear for the sake of Allah is a wonderful feeling. It is one great cure to our hearts. The Prophet (saws), included among the seven who are going to be under the shade of Allah on the Day there will be no shade but His, “…and a man who remembered Allah in seclusion and his eyes became flooded with tears.” (Bukhari) Just imagine you being that person and think about the many great rewards Allah will grant you.

When a person sheds tears out of remembering, thinking of, or taqwa of Allah, she experiences a heart deal of serenity and peacefulness in the heart. Crying helps the servant feel the closeness of Allah, the Almighty. Prophet (saws) said, “Two eyes the fire will not touch, and eye that wept out of fear of Allah, and an eye that spent the night guarding for the sake of Allah.(Spending the night in prayer or seeking knowledge)” (Tirmidhi).

Weeping out of fear of Allah brings about an indescribable feeling which moves the whole body. And if such act would bring nothing but being under the shade of the Merciful, then let that be quite the motive for each Muslim to shed a tear for Allah and be among those who “When the verses of the Most Gracious are recited unto them, they fell down prostrating and weeping.” [19:58]

Reference: Al Jumuah Magazine Article

T.H.E Weep for the love of Allah, even if you have to force yourself to do it. This is a form of training for your nafs and recommended as 'Amr ibn Al As (ra) said, “Weep, and if you cannot weep, then pretend to weep.I swear by Him in Whose hand my life is, that if any of you really knew, you would plead until your voice went, and pray until your back was broken."

No comments: